PMC is currently accepting applications for Fall 2013 internships. The deadline for submissions is Friday, August 2nd.
Applicants must submit the following:
• Cover letter
• Current resume
• One letter of reference
Please email all items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the internship position for which you are applying in your application. Details of the positions can be found below.
Types of Internships:
PMC offers three types of internships, depending on our needs at the time the internship opening is announced. An internship can focus on one of the following three areas – Fundraising & Development; Communications & Public Relations; or Program Development and Implementation.
A. Fundraising & Development
1. Researching foundations and potential donors.
2. Gathering, formatting, and producing supporting documentation for proposals.
3. Writing parts of proposals and grant applications.
4. Preparing and sending mailings to existing donors and prospects.
5. Updating PMC’s donor and contact database.
6. Analyzing returns on various fundraising initiatives
B. Communications & Public Relations
1. Writing, formatting, and producing brochures, flyers, and other marketing materials for PMC.
2. Assisting with writing, editing, updating, and/or formatting PMC’s newsletters, annual reports, website, and other materials.
3. Gathering photos relevant to PMC’s work from online sources for use in publications and our website.
4. Researching new ways to communicate our work; creating plans for how to implement these new ideas; helping to update our social networking sites.
5. Developing a list of public radio and TV stations in relevant cities with contact information for producers of interview shows.
6. Developing a list of talk radio and TV shows in the for-profit realm in relevant cities that take interviewees, along with information on the slant taken by each show.
7. Monitoring informational and entertainment print and broadcast programming for content relevant to population and reproductive health issues, perhaps with the use of an electronic “clipping service.”
8. Updating and organize our files of news stories about PMC’s work.
9. Helping to draft and distribute press releases about PMC accomplishments, and telephoning journalists to seek coverage of the news and to grant interviews to key PMC personnel.
10. Researching ad agencies in each country where PMC works to determine which ones may be the best prospects for advertising and sponsorships by companies that sell household consumer goods.
11. Developing cause-related marketing concepts that are relevant to PMC.
C. Program Development & Implementation
1. Researching health and social programs being conducted in countries of interest to PMC.
2. Researching country policies and action plans regarding reproductive health, HIV prevention, gender equity, and other areas of concern.
3. Conducting literature reviews and internet research for proposals and program needs.
4. Assisting in the development of program plans and budgets.
5. Writing, formatting, and producing reports and other documents on PMC’s programs.
6. Translating program documents from French/Spanish/Arabic/Portuguese to English.
7. Organizing current electronic and paper filing system. Creating and implementing improved and more efficient systems.
Specific projects to be completed as part of the internship will be determined in conjunction with the chosen intern. Even though an internship will focus on a certain area, the intern may be asked to contribute outside of this area, depending on PMC’s needs during the internship.
Terms of the Internship:
• All internships are based at PMC’s headquarters in Shelburne, Vermont, unless otherwise noted.
• All internships are unpaid, unless otherwise noted.
• PMC asks that an intern contribute at least 10 hours a week to PMC for the duration of the internship.
• A staff member in the Shelburne office will serve as coordinator for each intern selected for this program. This staff member will be the intern’s point person and mentor to ensure that the goals and objectives of the internship are met.
• PMC can work with student interns to help them secure academic credit for the internship, depending on the interns academic requirements.
Minimum Requirements – An Intern Must Have:
• Enthusiasm about PMC’s mission and programs and a desire to learn
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Commitment to the work of the organization
• Ability to juggle multiple projects
• Attention to detail and deadlines
• Ability to work with a variety of people of different cultures and who work in different fields through email and in-person
• Ability to work independently as well as be a team player