Water, Water Everywhere . . . But Not Enough for Business

September 12, 2009 • Daily Email Recap

Thanks to Leta Finch for this article from Risk Management Magazine.
—————————–

Water is vital for the production of almost everything we use. One car tire, for example, requires 518 gallons of water to manufacture. One ton of steel calls for 62,600 gallons. One egg requires 120 gallons. One 200-millimeter semiconductor wafer that powers the computers we use requires 7,500 gallons of ultrapure water. And as populations grow, many companies, not to mention cities, must face a grave threat-there soon may not be enough water to go around.

Many feel that water scarcity is not yet a cause for concern. After all, the world is covered with water. That is true, but 97.5% of it is saltwater. The remaining 2.5%, of which only a fraction is accessible surface or groundwater, is used for various functions such as sustaining life, growing food, supporting various economic processes and transporting and assimilating waste.

For full article, visit:
http://www.rmmag.com


Current World Population

7,755,985,155

Net Growth During Your Visit

0

DonateNow