The Center for Biological Diversity has an open job position — Overpopulation Campaign Coordinator. The winning candidate will be familiar with the topic and will likely have worked on population issues (and the environmental nexus) in the past. Please help CBD find talented candidates by forwarding this announcement far and wide. Thank you.
PS: We would like to recognize Amy Harwood for her work while at CBD. Especially notable was her powerful rebuttal of Betsy Hartmann just a few weeks after taking the Overpopulation Campaign Coordinator position. See: http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/08/31-4
Overpopulation Campaign Organizer
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a dynamic, hard-charging and creative leader for our groundbreaking Human Overpopulation Program. The Overpopulation Campaign Organizer (Organizer) position is based in our Tucson, Ariz., headquarters office and will be supervised by the Communications Director. The Organizer will work closely with other communications, conservation and development staff, as well as the Center’s executive directors. This is an opportunity to expand the environmental movement’s most innovative campaign to raise awareness about the connection between human overpopulation and overconsumption and species extinction, resource depletion and environmental degradation. The Organizer must have excellent communication and organizational skills, expertise and working knowledge of overpopulation issues and politics, an ability to think strategically and manage short- and long-term projects and have a self-starter personality and the ability to work well independently and collaboratively. Passion and experience with environmental issues and endangered species is desired.
– Tracking national and international communications and trends on human overpopulation and the environment.
– Integrating overpopulation issues into other Center communications work.
– Creating and implementing short- and long-range education and action campaigns to connect overpopulation with endangered species impacts.
– Strategic planning and execution of the overpopulation campaign.
– Cultivating, managing and inspiring a growing number of overpopulation activists eager to make a difference regarding this crucial issue.
– Overseeing our Endangered Species Condoms program, including coordination of hundreds of volunteer distributors.
– Developing and implementing new initiatives to raise public awareness about overpopulation.
– Writing and producing the Center’s monthly online overpopulation newsletter Pop X.
– Managing the 7 Billion and Counting Facebook page and the program’s Twitter account.
– Generating press releases, reports, Web materials and op-eds, as well as working with the media.
– Finding opportunities to work with other like-minded organizations, including environmental groups, to build grassroots support and effect change on overpopulations.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
– Minimum associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
– Two to four years’ work related to environmental activism, organizing and/or communications.
– Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
– Experience working with the media, giving interviews and writing press releases.
– Proven project-management experience.
– A solid grasp of issues related to overpopulation, endangered species and environmental effects, and knowledge of the current political and cultural context related to overpopulation.
– Strong strategic-planning skills.
– Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with a team.
– Ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines in a busy environment.
Salary is commensurate with experience and comparable to other nonprofits. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, vision and disability insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
To apply, please send a résumé and thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position to OpopOrganizer@biologicaldiversity.org; include “Overpopulation Campaign Organizer” in the subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. The position will remain open until filled.
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit