Population Institute (PI) has issued their annual call for entries for the Global Media Awards — devoted to drawing attention to global population issues by honoring those who have contributed to creating an awareness of population and family planning through their journalistic endeavors. This year’s awards will be the 34th annual iteration of the program.
Below are the categories and the instructions for nominations. If you are aware of exceptional journalistic work on population-related stories which were published or aired between September 1, 2012 and August 31, 2013, please consider preparing a nomination. Deadline for entries is September 27, 2013.
Global Media Award Category Definitions
Best Article: For the journalist or journalists who best discuss family planning or population-related issues in an article, series of articles, or opinion piece appearing in printed or online news sources, including magazines.
Best Book: For the author or authors of the best book on family planning or population-related issues.
Best Radio Show:
For the radio show, including serial drama, that best highlights population-related issues or family planning. The show must have been produced for radio broadcast or online use.
Best Film, Video or Documentary: For the best film, video, or documentary that discusses family planning or population-related issues.
Best TV Show: For the TV show, including serial drama, that best highlights population-related issues or family planning.
Best Opinion Piece: For the best opinion piece that discusses population-related issues or family planning including print pieces, blogs, and cartoons.
Best Social Media Campaign: For the best campaign on social media that discusses population-related issues or family planning.
How to Submit
Entries must be sent to:
Global Media Awards Program
107 Second Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Please submit justification for award, the name of the media outlet and the date of its use, along with 2 copies of the project being considered.
1. Entries must contain nominee’s complete contact information : name, address, phone, and e-mail.
2. Entries must be accompanied by a brief description of the entry and a justification explaining why it should be considered for a Global Media Award.
3. English translations must accompany entries in other languages.
4. Applicants must submit two printed copies of their submissions.
Entries will be evaluated on their potential to educate and inform policymakers or the general public about issues related to population growth. The jury will score entries on the following criteria.
Is the program reporting:
- Accurate and fair?
- Easily understood by the targeted audience?
- Offer a new or enhanced perspective on the subject of population?
- Relevant to the public policy debate on population or public understanding of issues related to population?
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit