Population Media Center and the Population Institute, along with many partner organizations around the world — including the Foundation for Deep Ecology — are happy to announce the Global Population Speak Out of 2015. Beginning today and lasting throughout the calendar year, this “Speak Out” features an amazing and powerful large-format coffee-table book, Overdevelopment, Overpopulation, Overshoot (“OVER”). Weighing in at over 6 lbs. and filled with imagesAlan Weisman has described as “relentless”, this book is as large and compelling as the global problems we face in the early 21st century.
The 300+ searing images are framed by three emotionally provocative essays. The foreward is written by Musimbi Kanyoro, President and CEO of the Global Fund for Women and an acclaimed international leader and advocate for the health, development and human rights for women, girls and minority groups. PMC’s own Bill Ryerson writes the introduction, and the incomparable Eileen Crist provides the Afterword. Meanwhile, there is an opening photo-parable and a closing parable-redux by book editor Tom Butler, Editorial Projects Director at the Foundation for Deep Ecology.
Here are some key “need to knows” about Speak Out, including the primary ways to get involved:
- Take the traditional Speak Out “Pledge” — write letters, give lectures, hang posters, Tweet, Facebook, etc.
- Submit your proposal, as an individual or organization, to be granted multiple free copies of OVER to make noise, raise awareness and demand change!
- Be a campaign friend by putting your name and location on the Campaign Map.
- Donate to help ship these books to VIP’s across the planet.
- Share electronic post-cards to help drive traffic to the Speak Out site and garner even more support!
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit