Population Media Center is currently accepting internships for the Summer and Fall 2018 semesters. Please contact us if you are a student interested in an internship.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- One letter of reference
Please email all items to email@example.com
Please reference the internship position for which you are applying in your application and the approximate number of hours per week you are hoping to work.
Types of Internships:
PMC internships generally fall into one of four departments depending on our needs. The below summaries are a general description of types of work done by interns and are not a guarantee of an available internship in that department at any given time.
A. Fundraising & Development
- Researching foundations and potential donors.
- Gathering, formatting, and producing supporting documentation for proposals.
- Writing parts of proposals and grant applications.
- Preparing and sending mailings to existing donors and prospects.
- Basic proficiency needed in Excel, Word, databases.
B. Marketing & Communications
- Assisting with researching, writing, editing, updating, and/or formatting PMC’s print and electronic materials (website, annual report, newsletters, ePhotos, etc).
- Gathering and editing photos for use in publications and our website.
- Assisting with public relations research, writing, and distribution.
- Updating and organizing our files and internal systems.
C. Program & Partnership Development (PPD)
- Assist in the development of program proposals.
- Work with PPD staff to draft new proposal documents.
- Conduct literature reviews and internet research:
- Research and prepare summaries of health and social programs being conducted in countries of interest to PMC.
- Research and prepare summaries of country policies and current situations regarding reproductive health, gender equity, HIV prevention, and other areas of concern.
- Read relevant reports/articles and attend relevant webinars; prepare brief reports on the content to share with PPD staff.
- Create 1-pagers presenting PMC’s reasons for choosing each of 35 Focus Countries.
- Occasional French-English translation (if applicable).
- Record contact information and meeting notes from exploratory trips and donor meetings into online database.
- Can be based in either South Burlington, VT or Montreal, QC, Canada.
D. Program Administration & Research
- As a program intern, you provide administrative support to the Program and Research departments, while getting an overview of how PMC programs are implemented. The most common duties and tasks include:
- Creating and updating binders with information and essential documents for projects in the field
- Pulling information from internal and external sources for reports
- Transferring information from key documents to tracking documents such as reporting deadlines, project deliverables, and PR parameters, and broadcast information
- Capturing audience quotes from research activities
- Logging in PR articles about PMC and projects in the field
- Researching issues
- Proficiency in the use of qualitative data analysis software helpful.
Specific projects to be completed as part of the internship will be determined in conjunction with the chosen intern. Even though an internship will focus on a certain area, the intern may be asked to contribute outside of this area, depending on PMC’s needs during the internship.
Terms of the Internship:
- All internships are based at PMC’s headquarters in South Burlington, Vermont, unless otherwise noted.
- All internships are unpaid, unless otherwise noted.
- PMC asks that an intern contribute at least 10 hours a week to PMC for the duration of the internship.
- A staff member in the South Burlington office will serve as coordinator for each intern selected for this program. This staff member will be the intern’s point person and mentor to ensure that the goals and objectives of the internship are met.
- PMC can work with student interns to help them secure academic credit for the internship, depending on the interns academic requirements.
Minimum Requirements – An Intern Must Have:
- Enthusiasm about PMC’s mission and programs and a desire to learn
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to the work of the organization
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to work with a variety of people of different cultures and who work in different fields through email and in-person
- Ability to work independently as well as be a team player
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit