Nothing Is Impossible Description
#GETREEL runs from September 12 – October 24, 2017. Each week features important elements to PMC’s work to empower women and girls. If a specific theme speaks to you or those in your network, please use it at any point during the campaign.
Week Six: Nothing Is Impossible
(October 17 – 24, 2017)
Video: Nothing Is Impossible (Coming Soon!)
- There is great need for pro-social work all around the world and in many different formats; PMC knows this.
- For PMC, however, making progress on the socially interconnected issues of the full rights of women and girls, population size and growth, and the health of the planetary environment offer the most excellent returns on scarce resources.
- Our organizational vision: “A sustainable planet with equal rights for all,” absolutely required PMC to emphasize gender equality and increasing women’s empowerment in our entertaining dramas because empowering women drastically changes this world’s realities around health, human rights, and environmental protection. Families, communities, and the world all benefit in drastic degrees.
- Working on behalf of women and girls means addressing a multitude of related issues, such as: promoting primary and secondary school education, promoting comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights, ending domestic violence, ending female genital mutilation, ending early and forced marriage, promoting child health, and more.
- Tackling these diverse issues strengthens our capacity to create change, and all of these issues come back to one theme that impacts the health of all people and the health of the planet – the rights of women and girls.
- Our dramas benefit from addressing multiple issues at once, because doing so honors and advances the hallmark of great episodic story-telling (captivating characters, cliffhangers, multiple/interwoven storylines, and unexpected plot twists) and because doing so honors the way these issues impact numerous parts of our lives so that they can be advanced in the storylines in ways that make sense to viewers and listeners.
- Our goal is always a critical mass of confident, informed, empowered individuals in our listening audience that are newly motivated to adopt positive behaviors. This is Population Media Center. This is how we work for a sustainable planet with equal rights for all.
Nothing Is Impossible:
There is a crisis of sustainability on Planet Earth, and the social norms, attitudes and behaviors of human communities represent both the perpetrators of our socio-environmental emergency – and the source of every imaginable solution. People are, ironically, the cause of most global troubles, yet also hold the solutions to solving them.
From Population Media Center’s view, there are certainly innumerable opportunities for engaging in positive, life-affirming work on the planet right now. We applaud all good-hearted people everywhere who are dedicating their energy and talents to improving the world.
However, for PMC, making progress on the socially interconnected issues of the full rights of women and girls, population size and growth, and the health of the planetary environment offer the most excellent returns on scarce resources. We strongly believe that progress made around this trifecta of causes – our focus issues – will best contribute to the manifestation of our organizational vision: “A sustainable planet with equal rights for all.”
What is crucial to understand, though, is that all these issues are inter-related, and this is where the power of our actions becomes apparent. Because they are inter-related, we can transform huge, and seemingly diverse, realities with limited resources. Just as the great conservationist, John Muir, stated long ago: “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.”
That is why PMC always emphasizes strengthening gender equality and increasing women’s empowerment in our entertaining dramas. To meet enhance the rights of women and girls, we know we have a host of work to do, but we also know that the work pays back in BIG ways.
For example, promoting primary and secondary school education for girls and women is not only a human right, it sparks a positive feedback loop of empowered women directing the course of their own lives. We also work on comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people, with a special interest in family planning and modern contraceptive uptake. Both of these goals are recognized as stand-alone human rights, after all. And, without establishing reproductive self-determination for the women of the world, encouraging small ideal family size decisions – which we also do – would be futile and unfair.
But, what about domestic violence, female genital mutilation, and early and forced marriage? Yup. PMC works strenuously on these issues too, because they are important in their own right and because they feed back into the big picture of global social and ecological sustainability. Towards those same ends, we also promote child health, nutrition, and protection – just as we promote conservation of natural environments and the rights of other species to exist.
It’s all connected and rather than diluting our efforts, tackling these diverse issues strengthens our capacity to create change. Because, for PMC it’s all about mission-driven, highly-engaging entertainment programming — exciting, unique, and highly effective.
Our radio, television and internet dramas benefit from addressing multiple issues at once, because doing so honors and advances the hallmark of great episodic story-telling: captivating characters, cliffhangers, multiple/interwoven storylines, and unexpected plot twists. PMC then goes beyond simple entertainment and leverages key components of our fictions to promote and catalyze real changes in knowledge, attitudes, and the social norms of our audiences.
Our stories help build social momentum for lasting change, resulting in healthier women, girls, families, communities, and planet. Our goal is always a critical mass of confident, informed, empowered individuals in our listening audience that are newly motivated to adopt positive behaviors.
This is Population Media Center. This is how we work for a sustainable planet with equal rights for all.
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit