Mission & Vision
By enhancing the rights of women and girls, we can improve lives and protect the planet of tomorrow.
A sustainable planet with equal rights for all.
To use entertainment-education and mass media to promote social and cultural change by addressing the interconnected issues of the full rights of women and girls, population, and the environment. Our goals are to empower people to live healthier and more prosperous lives and to stabilize global population at a level at which people can live sustainably with the world’s renewable resources.
We believe that pro-social communication campaigns are best done without telling people what to do. We believe in the power of positive and realistic role modeling. We value communication between husbands and wives about the future of their families. We believe in equal rights for women, including education for girls. We uphold responsible parenthood as essential so that all children are given the best opportunities available.
PMC strives to bring about a world where education and information enhances health and human rights with results like:
- smaller families leading to healthier and more prosperous families,
- every woman deciding and planning her reproductive future,
- girls and boys encountering equal opportunities throughout their lives, and
- the stress on Earth’s environment being reduced.
Message from PMC President, Bill Ryerson:
Addressing population through health and human rights enhancing methods improves the health and prosperity of families, while simultaneously lessening the harmful impact of humanity on the earth’s environment.
The human suffering from excessive childbearing is staggering and preventable.
- Around 300,000 women and girls die worldwide every year from pregnancy and childbirth – a figure greater than U.S. deaths in World War I, the Korean War, and Vietnam combined. Most of these women are in their teens and early twenties, forced by their societies into bearing children at a young age and far too frequently.
- 1 in 1,000 women bleed to death each year during childbirth in developing countries. Tragically, many die within reach of medical facilities because their relatives refuse to allow them to be treated by male doctors.
- At least 22,800 women die each year trying to end their pregnancies. The Guttmacher Institute estimates that 55.9 million abortions occur each year–49.3 million in developing regions and 6.6 million in developed regions. Many of those who survive self-induced abortions face life-long, disabling pain.
- 23,100 women die from the agony of prolonged labor each year. And those are only the fatalities. Approximately half of the nearly 120 million women who give birth each year experience pregnancy-related complications, and between 15 million and 20 million women develop temporary or permanent disabilities resulting from their pregnancies that can be socially isolating, physically painful, and potentially deadly.
Add to that the exhausting burden of repeated pregnancies and births, and you have a global picture of suffering on the part of women that demands global response. What is infuriating is that these deaths and tragic injuries are almost entirely preventable.
Not only does reproductive health and family planning save and improve individual lives, it also helps save the planet.
An estimated 44 percent of births worldwide are unplanned and 22 percent are unwanted. PMC believes every child should be a wanted child and that women and men should be able to choose when and if to have children. Exercising this choice would impact the disastrous effects rapid population growth is having on worldwide issues like soil erosion, depletion of forests, food insecurity, increased flooding, overgrazing of grasslands, and species extinction. The rate of destruction is staggering and also preventable. Population growth of 82 million per year threatens the sustainability of the planet. Sustainability is the ultimate health issue and the ultimate human rights issue.
There is no more cost-effective use of charitable dollars than in preventing unplanned and unwanted births and reducing birth rates worldwide through information and empowerment.
Our programs make dramatic differences in the health and welfare of millions of individuals, as well as contributing to economic improvement in some of the world’s poorest countries and protecting the planet. PMC is helping people understand the importance of responsible parenthood, rights of women, education of girls, and communication between husbands and wives about the future of their families. A third to over half of new reproductive health clients coming into clinics in locations where PMC dramas are on the air say they are there because one of PMC’s serial dramas. If you would like to be part of this work, please donate now.
The work of PMC is helping prevent the needless suffering of millions around the world. Population Media Center is proud to be acting for change.
Current World Population
Net Growth During Your Visit