Employment and Internship Opportunities
Population Media Center is a global sustainability non-profit and production partner that creates popular entertainment for universal social and environmental good. PMC’s award-winning TV and radio series, broadcast in the US and 50+ countries, have proven positively life-changing for more millions of people around the world. By empowering audiences, and especially women and girls, through transformative storytelling that addresses fundamental threats to global sustainability where it matters most—in human hearts and minds—we inspire entire communities to choose a healthier, more equitable, and flourishing world for all.
Working at Population Media Center
At Population Media Center, we’re a group of lifelong learners ready to challenge norms and shift perspectives. We’re curious and open-minded, always connecting with our global colleagues and partners. Together, we’re creating a sustainable future with equal rights for all.
Our tight-knit teams of creatives, social scientists, and advocates are highly specialized individuals. We’re empowered with autonomy and creativity in day-to-day work and energized by our mission to deliver measurable, meaningful community empowerment.
We always roll the credits, ensuring everyone in our interconnected team of talent feels seen, supported, and appreciated. Our future does not solely depend on the stories we create, but also depends on everyone who contributes to creating them.
Population Media Center is more than an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender identity, race, religion, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, or disability with respect to employment, volunteer opportunities, or participation in our programs and events. We actively seek diverse candidates who share our mission and values, and we explicitly encourage a diverse pool of applicants by soliciting referrals and through targeted job postings.
As embodied in the work of our Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility Committee (IDEA), our commitment extends beyond the hiring process as we seek to provide the best possible experience to our employees by:
- Empowering staff to fully engage in their work, employing creative solutions and contributing to the strategic direction of the organization; and
- Challenging systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity throughout our organization and our work.
- We seek to continuously improve and regularly review our policies and practices to apply new learning.
Join Our Team
We care deeply about our teams and the people who make those teams so enjoyable and effective. We also care about building a more representative and inclusive workplace, bringing forward a diversity of perspectives and experiences.
All recruitments at Population Media Center are conducted by the team manager and a hiring committee of colleagues from PMC leadership and from teams with whom the new employee will work most closely. Since most PMC positions are suitable for remote work, we create virtual meeting experiences via Zoom Meeting technology throughout the interview process. Interviews are designed to be interactive to permit applicants to demonstrate their skills and knowledge through review of writing samples and applicant presentations, wherever appropriate. Every search is designed with support from the HR Administrator to ensure that it is conducted in a manner that is consistent with the PMC Hiring Process.
- Current staff are notified of all position vacancies, reflecting our commitment to professional development and growth. Jobs are then posted publicly via newspaper classifieds, online posting sites, and throughout our networks. All applications are screened by HR and the hiring manager to give each individual full consideration. At this time, PMC’s business model does not permit consideration of applicants who are not currently authorized to work in the U.S. and based in the U.S., including remote positions.
- To apply for a position, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. If you are unable to complete the application process, you can request reasonable accommodations and we will be happy to assist you.
- All applications are acknowledged and timelines are communicated to applicants.
- At each stage of evaluation, a standardized procedure is used to review applications and to select those candidates who will proceed to the next phase of the recruitment process. Introductory meetings will be offered to selected candidates to meet the hiring manager and the HR Administrator, who will review PMC’s current benefits package and the compensation range that is available for the position.
- From this pool of applicants, a Zoom interview with the Hiring Committee is offered to selected candidates. A standard list of questions is used to ensure fairness and consistency in the interview process. Depending on the position, a second interview may be scheduled with a different or larger hiring panel. References of the selected candidate will be checked when the offer is made.
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT – INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
PMC is looking for an experienced international business development professional to provide strategic oversight and support to PMC’s current country programs’ fundraising and partnership development efforts.
Reporting to the Vice President of International Programs, the Director of Business Development will serve as a mentor to PMC’s Program Managers and Country Teams on business development processes. The Director of Business Development will guide current country-level research on and assessment of potential partnerships, coalitions, and funding opportunities for PMC. Fluency in English and French is required, and applicants must be based in and authorized to work in the U.S.
PMC is especially interested in hiring individuals who can contribute to our diversity and further the achievement of our Vision: A Sustainable Planet with Equal Rights for All. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter what they can offer to helping us achieve and maintain this goal.
HOW TO APPLY: See the full job description here. Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications and interviewing will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.
We care deeply about our teams and the people who make those teams so enjoyable and effective. We also care about building a representative and inclusive workplace, bringing forward a diversity of perspectives and experiences.
All in-country recruitments at Population Media Center are conducted by a hiring committee of colleagues from the PMC International Programs team. Country staff are hired for contract positions. Since most PMC positions are suitable for remote work, we create virtual meeting experiences via Zoom Meeting technology throughout the interview process. Interviews are designed to be interactive to permit applicants to demonstrate their skills and knowledge. Every search is designed with support from the PMC Headquarters office to ensure that it is conducted in a manner that is consistent with the PMC Hiring Process.
- Current staff are notified of all position vacancies, reflecting our commitment to professional development and growth. Jobs are then posted publicly via newspaper classifieds, online posting sites, and throughout our networks. All applications are screened by the hiring manager to give each individual full consideration.
- To apply for a position, submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. If you are unable to complete the application process, we will be happy to assist you.
- All applications are acknowledged, and timelines are communicated to applicants.
- A standardized procedure is used to review applications and to select those candidates who will proceed to the next phase of the recruitment process. A Zoom interview with the Hiring Committee is offered to selected candidates. A standard list of questions is used to ensure fairness and consistency in the interview process. Depending on the position, a second interview may be scheduled with a different or larger hiring panel. References of the selected candidate will be checked when the offer is made.
- All internships are currently remote because of the unresolved Covid-19 pandemic. During non-pandemic times, internship location or remote nature depends upon the department and supervisor. Time zones vary.
- All internships are unpaid, unless otherwise noted.
- PMC asks that an intern contribute at least 10 hours a week for the duration of the internship. Some departments or projects may need a higher weekly commitment.
- A staff member will serve as coordinator for each intern selected for this program. This staff member will be the intern’s point person and mentor to ensure that the goals and objectives of the internship are met.
- PMC can work with student interns to help them secure academic credit for the internship, depending on the intern’s academic requirements.
- Specific projects to be completed as part of the internship will be determined in conjunction with the chosen intern. Even though an internship will focus on a certain area, the intern may be asked to contribute outside of this area, depending on needs during the internship.
An Intern must have:
- Enthusiasm about PMC’s mission and programs and a desire to learn
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to the work of the organization
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office and use of the internet
- Ability to work via email and in-person with a variety of people from different cultures and who work in different fields
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please reference the internship position for which you are applying in your application, the approximate number of hours per week you are hoping to work, and your preferred start and stop dates.
Population Media Center encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Multi-lingual applicants, especially those with French language proficiency, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Letter of Recommendation (optional)
Please email all items to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be acknowledged by the HR Administrator and forwarded to department managers for consideration.
PMC internships generally fall into one of five departments depending on availability. The summaries below are a general description of types of work and are not a guarantee of an available internship in that department at any given time.
As a research intern, you’ll support the different data collection, analysis, and visualization efforts managed by PMC’s Technical Research Unit (TRU). Examples of these tasks include:
- Update content in PMC’s Data Warehouse to ensure our staff have access to our entire catalog of output, outcome, and impact data.
- Work with country teams and PMC consultants to write and refine reports from our situation analyses, formative audience research, various monitoring activities, and impact evaluations.
- Create GIS maps to calculate broadcast coverage area of PMC shows and add in layers of population and other available data to help understand our audience.
- Develop training materials for staff at PMC headquarters and country offices related to data collection ethics, survey sample design, best practices for data visualization, and many other topics.
- Use web-based tools to create and test digital surveys that allow PMC and partners to collect data with smartphones and tablets.
- Lead portfolio reviews to answer key program design questions (i.e., how does the duration of a PMC show correlate with impact?) using PMC data.
Development & Donor Relations
- Researching potential funders.
- Support production of and research for meetings, proposals, and other communications as needed.
- Support digital or in-person events and other external relations activities as needed.
Marketing & Communications
- Researching, writing, and editing about the issues PMC works on, places PMC works, PMC’s theory of change, and PMC’s projects. This work is for print and digital channels, such as PMC’s blog, website, annual report, newsletters, social media, monthly digital subscriptions, etc.
- Photo editing and selection for use in publications and our website.
- Researching, writing, and distribution for PR efforts.
- Building out photo libraries, communications tools, and other structures for efficient internal operations.
- Reviewing and cleaning data to support accurate marketing metrics to understand impact of marketing efforts.
Program & Partnership Development (PPD)
- Assist in the development of program proposals.
- Work with PPD staff to draft new proposal documents.
- Conduct literature reviews and internet research:
- Research and prepare summaries of health and social programs being conducted in countries of interest to PMC.
- Research and prepare summaries of country policies and current situations regarding reproductive health, gender equity, and other areas of concern.
- Read relevant reports/articles and attend relevant webinars; prepare brief reports on the content to share with PPD staff.
- Occasional French-English translation (if applicable).
- Record contact information and meeting notes from exploratory trips and donor meetings into online database.
international Programs Administration
As an International Programs intern, you provide administrative support to the International Programs department, while getting an overview of how PMC programs are implemented. The most common duties and tasks include:
- Creating and updating files with information and essential documents for projects in the field.
- Pulling information from internal and external sources for reports.
- Transferring information from key documents to tracking documents, such as reporting deadlines, project deliverables, PR parameters, and broadcast information.
- Capturing audience quotes from research activities.
- Logging in PR articles about PMC and projects in the field.
- Researching issues.
- Proficiency in the use of qualitative data analysis software helpful.